Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Energy of Slow

This is reposted from my original website, written a little more than a year ago.  I am feeling that same sense of slow as when I wrote this so I thought I'd share it here.  Originally posted Aug. 18, 2010.


Somewhere in my mind, I decided that fast was good, full commitment was necessary every time I approached something, and slow meant incompetence. After returning home from our trip to see family and immediately catching whatever bug Rob brought back from Texas, I am moving pretty darn slowly this week. The herbs sit neatly on the shelf waiting to be entered onto the website. But in my mind I keep hearing "Stop following the rules."

While there is much to be said for following rules, when it comes to personal matters I find it's usually better to follow our own rules provided those exist within the paramenters of doing no harm and respecting all involved. So today I embrace the tortoise and her slow persisitence. I have slowly been accepting that it is in my nature to need time for things. This has not been an easy lesson, nor has it been the most obvious lesson to me and I've been slow to catch on. But if I don't relax and take things slowly, the pressure to commit clouds my judgement and I rarely end up with what I want.

So for those of us that need time, that need to let things steep, I say embrace the tortoise. She gets to the finish line in her own time and hey, she even wins! Relax, take note of whether over-committing causes you to change your mind too often, and let things rest for a while. We are entering a time of year when the hustle and bustle of Autumn will lead to the stress and overwork of the holidays. This is in conflict with what our bodies need and want. The first of three harvest festivals has passsed (First Harvest, Lammas, or Lughnasadh) and our work at getting the crops to grow is slowing down. Depending on where you are, the heat will soon soften and the mornings and evenings will cool off.

The Earth relaxes her hold on the tips of her trees allowing the first layer of leaves to fall and with that, we too, should relax our grip. Ease into things, allowing time for uncertainty. Taste the decision making process and let it simmer on the back burner. There will be plenty of time for rushing and worrying when there is something to rush and worry over. Until then, be patient with yourself, let the tortoise teach you to commit with the option to go slowly. And knowing you can always change your mind, you may make it 3/4 of the way across the street, avoid being hit by a car, and decide to turn around and save that swim in the pond for another day. There's no shame in that, just avoid the cars on your way back
!





No comments:

Post a Comment