Monday, April 22, 2013

Earth Day Contemplations

A few things I'm thinking about today . . .

1.  What five things can I do everyday of the next year that would lighten my carbon footprint, reduce waste, and improve the health of our household and family?  (like walk to church, buy eggs locally . . .)

2.  What things have I been touting to be doing, but that I just can't seem to master?  (like not using paper towels . . .)  How can I find a functional way to succeed at those things?

3.  How can I buy less plastic, and fewer things packaged in plastic?  (I think this is a bulk item issue, and a DIY issue!)

4.  I read an article about the oceans today.  At the bottom were comments from naysayers about climate change.  And to them (and myself, you, whoever) I say that even if there is no catastrophic end to the ways humans have learned to live, even if the oceans don't rise and the temps don't rise and the hurricanes don't increase, what we are doing is still raping forests, killing mass quantities of species, and increasing TOXIC waste that is killing us.  We don't need climate change to kill us.  We just need rivers that have too many carcinogens and soil that won't grow anything!

5.  Taking care of the earth is a moral issue.  We are tending the home of our grandchildren's grandchildren.  If we want them to live beyond the age of 35, they need a carcinogen-free world.

6.  Breathe, do what you can, and take it one action step at a time.

7.  How can I help locally with groups that care?

All across the globe, Earth Day has been celebrated and surely, as a whole, we are raising our consciousness about this.  But there is still a need for more things, prettier, shinier, faster, bigger things.  A new pair of shoes when the old ones still fit.  Another jacket when there are a dozen in the closet. 

If you are like me and you sometimes feel like this is a pointless exercise, remember that you are not alone.  You might be isolated, but there are millions, if not billions of other people who care about the same things that you do.  And we are the ones who will make a difference. 

Here is to another year of Earth-minded living!

4 comments:

  1. I love the post that you put together with inspirational steps. They do such a great job of pointing me in the right direction. Thanks, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read them Rachel!!!

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, yes!

    I followed you over from Crunchy Pagan Mom, and this post alone made it worth the trip - and if it hadn't, your "Lets get one thing straight" would have! :)

    "I say that even if there is no catastrophic end to the ways humans have learned to live, even if the oceans don't rise and the temps don't rise and the hurricanes don't increase, what we are doing is still raping forests, killing mass quantities of species, and increasing TOXIC waste that is killing us. We don't need climate change to kill us. We just need rivers that have too many carcinogens and soil that won't grow anything!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misti, thanks so much for your praise and validation! I'm grateful that you made your way over here and are so generous with your positive feedback.

      Delete